Store-bought brioche is taken to the next level in this simple dessert - it would also work well with leftover panettone. We've used pistachio ice-cream here, but opt for whatever flavour takes your fancy.
- 200 gm softened butter
- 100 gm each honey and brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- 8 thick slices store-bought brioche
- To serve: store-bought pistachio ice-cream, thinly sliced peaches, and slivered pistachio nuts
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Mix butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, orange rind and a pinch of salt in a bowl until smooth and combined, then spread thickly on both sides of brioche slices (you won’t need it all). Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add half the brioche slices and cook until browned and caramelised (1-2 minutes), turn and cook other side, then transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with remaining brioche slices and keep warm in oven. Add remaining butter mixture to pan and simmer until caramelised, then carefully add orange juice and swirl to combine. Remove from heat. Pile caramelised brioche onto serving plates, top with scoops of ice-cream and sliced peaches, drizzle with pan caramel, scatter with pistachios and serve straightaway.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm