Fried and charred, Brussels sprouts take on a sweet, nutty, vegetal flavour all their own. Toss them with walnuts and leaves, and you have a light meal, or a delicious vegetable side.
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 800 gm Brussels sprouts, halved and blanched in boiling water for 1 minute
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) red wine vinegar
- 100 gm red-vein sorrel leaves
- 25 gm (¼ cup) roasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated parmesan, to serve
- 1Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, tossing occasionally, until tender and starting to char at the edges (6 minutes). Season to taste.
- 2For the dressing, combine chives, shallots, vinegar and remaining oil in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- 3Combine warm Brussels sprouts with sorrel and walnuts in a bowl. Spoon over dressing and serve with parmesan.