- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 bacon rashers (about 280gm), rind removed
- 12 large Brussels sprouts
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into matchsticks
- 60 ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- 60 ml (¼ cup) buttermilk
- ½ bunch chives, finely chopped, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and fry, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp (6-8 minutes).
- 2Shave Brussels sprouts with a mandolin into a bowl. Add a good pinch of salt, shallots, apples and half the lemon juice. Toss to combine and set aside.
- 3Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk and remaining lemon juice, drizzle over salad, toss well and transfer salad to a plate.
- 4Chop bacon and scatter over salad along with chives and parmesan. Season to taste and serve.