- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp capsicum purée (see note)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 500 gm coarse burghul, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups hot chicken stock or hot water
- 1Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan, add onions and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until soft. Add capsicum and cook for another 3 minutes, add capsicum purée and stir to combine. Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes or until soft.
- 2Add ½ cup cold water and simmer for 10 minutes, then add drained burghul, stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes Add hot stock, bring to the boil and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, covered, over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until burghul is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Note Capsicum purée, salca in Turkish, is available from Middle-Eastern food stores.