- 200 ml buttermilk, well-shaken
- 1½ tbsp hot sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices white sourdough bread, buttered
- To serve: mayonnaise
- 200 gm cabbage, thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup each coarsely chopped mint and coriander
- 100 ml well-shaken buttermilk
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime, or to taste
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine buttermilk, hot sauce and garlic in a bowl, season to taste, add chicken and turn to coat, then cover and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, for coleslaw, combine cabbage, carrot, spring onion and herbs in a bowl. Shake buttermilk, oil, lime juice and garlic in a jar to combine, season to taste, drizzle over cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drain chicken from marinade, pat dry with paper towels, add to pan and cook, turning once, until browned (2-3 minutes each side). Transfer to oven to finish cooking (5 minutes), then thickly slice. Spread half the bread slices with mayonnaise, top with chicken, then coleslaw and sandwich with remaining bread slices. Serve with extra hot sauce.