- 80 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 4 leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
- 330 gm Desiree potato, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 litre chicken stock (4 cups)
- 300 ml pouring cream
- Loaf crusty sourdough bread, crusts removed, coarsely torn into 1cm croûtons
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat half the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan, add leeks, a good pinch of sea salt flakes and 8 grinds of black pepper. Increase heat to high and cook until leeks start to soften (2-3 minutes). Add potato and stock, bring to the boil, and cook over high heat until potato is falling apart (30 minutes), adding cream in last 2 minutes of cooking. Blend with a stick blender and season to taste.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add croûtons and toss until evenly golden (3-5 minutes). Add parsley and toss again, then serve soup in bowls and top with croûtons.