- 250 gm piece flat pancetta or smoked bacon, cut into lardons
- 3 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 baby cos lettuces, leaves separated
- 150 gm parmesan, shaved using a vegetable peeler
- 6 drained anchovy fillets, halved lengthways
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 drained anchovy fillets
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1For caesar dressing, process garlic, 1 tsp of sea salt, yolks, vinegar, mustard, anchovies and Worcestershire sauce using a food processor until combined. With motor running, add olive oil in a slow steady stream until dressing is thick, then season to taste with a pinch of sugar, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Fry pancetta pieces in a large frying pan over high heat until crisp and golden, then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to an absorbent paper-lined plate. Add bread to pan and fry in the pancetta fat until golden, then transfer to plate with pancetta.
- 3Place lettuce leaves, parmesan and enough dressing to coat in a large bowl and toss well to combine. Divide among serving bowls and scatter with pancetta and croûtons and top with anchovies. Serve immediately.