What's not to love about pears and caramel, especially caramel spiked with fennel seeds? Served with ice-cream, it's an ideal midweek dessert.
- 40 gm butter, diced
- 4 firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 150 gm honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 70 ml pouring cream
- 1Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming, add pears and fry, turning occasionally, until beginning to caramelise (5-6 minutes).
- 2Add honey, vanilla bean and seeds, and fennel seeds and simmer, stirring occasionally and turning pears in syrup, until tender and a caramel forms (4-5 minutes).
- 3Remove from heat, transfer pears to serving bowls, then return caramel to the heat, add cream and swirl to combine. Spoon caramel over pears, scatter with almonds and serve hot with vanilla ice-cream.