Pineapple and caramel go so well together, and even better flavoured and scented with star anise. Apples also work well, as do cinnamon or cloves.
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp coarsely ground star anise, plus 1 whole star anise
- 4 thick slices pineapple
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Vanilla bean ice-cream, to serve
- 1Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Scatter sugar over pan and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until it forms a caramel (1-2 minutes). Add ground and whole star anise, swirl to combine, then add pineapple and cook until hardened caramel dissolves (2-4 minutes; be careful, caramel will spit). Turn pineapple and cook until tender and golden (2-4 minutes). Add lime juice to pan and swirl until a sauce forms.
- 2Transfer pineapple to plates, top with ice-cream and spoon over caramel to serve.