Cauliflower and cheese are a perfect match, and this soup is no exception - serve it with grilled cheese on toast for an extra flavour boost.
- 600 gm cauliflower (about 1 small), coarsely chopped
- 1 potato, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 70 gm butter, diced
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp coarsely chopped thyme, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 500 ml chicken or vegetable stock (2 cups)
- 300 gm sour cream
- 60 gm cheddar, finely grated
- 1Process cauliflower, potato, leek and garlic in batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until butter foams, add cauliflower mixture, thyme and lemon rind, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelised (8-10 minutes). Add stock and 250ml water, bring to the boil, season generously and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add sour cream, cheddar and lemon juice to taste, blend with a hand-held blender until smooth. Serve scattered with freshly ground black pepper and extra thyme.