Forget soaking pulses overnight – canned chickpeas make this spin on chana masala a breeze. The spices here are warm and bright, and with a bowl of steamed basmati rice or flatbread, this is a dish geared towards heft and comfort.
- 60 gm ghee
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 25 gm (about 5cm) ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 gm canned chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml water
- 800 gm canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Handful of chopped coriander, plus coriander sprigs to serve
- Greek-style yoghurt, steamed basmati rice (optional) and lime wedges, to serve
- 1Heat ghee in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir until almost soft (6-8 minutes).
- 2Add garam masala, turmeric and coriander seeds, and stir until fragrant (1 minute), then add ginger and garlic and stir until fragrant (1 minute). Add tomato and water, bring to a simmer, season to taste and simmer until thick (5 minutes). Stir chickpeas through sauce and simmer until heated through (5 minutes). Season to taste.
- 3Stir chopped coriander through chickpea mixture. Top with yoghurt and coriander sprigs, and serve with rice and lime wedges.