- 4 skirt steaks (200gm each), at room temperature
- 125 ml fish sauce (½ cup)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- For brushing: vegetable oil
Asian cabbage slaw
- 250 gm white cabbage (about ½ small), shredded on a mandolin
- 1 cup (loosely packed) each mint and coriander
- 3 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 55 gm caster sugar (¼ cup)
- 1 small red chilli, coarsely chopped, or to taste
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml each fish sauce and lime juice (¼ cup)
- 1Combine steak, fish sauce, lime juice, garlic and chilli in a bowl and marinate (20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for Asian cabbage slaw, combine cabbage, mint, coriander and shallot in a large bowl, toss to combine. Pound sugar, chilli and garlic in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste, add fish sauce, lime juice and 1 tbsp warm water, stir to combine. Just before serving, toss dressing through cabbage mixture.
- 3Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Drain steaks, brush lightly with oil, then char-grill, turning occasionally, until cooked to your liking (4-5 minutes for medium-rare). Rest in a warm place for 10 minutes, thickly slice (drizzle with extra dressing if you like), serve with slaw.
This recipe is from the November 2011 issue of .