These make a fine summer lunch or dinner as they are, but switch the bread for mini milk rolls and you'll have a simple canapé guests will lap up.
- 8 slices soft white bread
- 600 gm peeled uncooked prawns, cleaned
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 small fennel bulbs (fronds reserved), thinly sliced on a mandoline, crisped in iced acidulated water
- 1 cup (firmly packed) watercress sprigs
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Lemon myrtle-buttermilk sauce
- 50 gm mayonnaise
- 50 ml well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp dried ground lemon myrtle (optional; see note)
- 1For lemon myrtle-buttermilk sauce, whisk ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 2Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat and grill bread until lightly charred and toasted (1 minute each side).
- 3Drizzle prawns with oil, season to taste and grill, turning once, until just opaque (2-3 minutes).
- 4To serve, spread half the toasted bread slices on one side with sauce to taste, top with prawns, drained fennel, fennel fronds and watercress, season to taste, sandwich with remaining toasted bread and serve with lemon wedges.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm