These deliciously cheesy toasties are great as is, but thickly sliced leg ham or even spicy salami would make for a tasty addition.
- 300 gm crème fraîche
- 150 gm each grated cheddar and provolone piccante (see note)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 8 thick slices sourdough or rye sourdough
- 30 gm butter, diced
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 60 ml (¼ cup) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1For quick-pickled onion, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and stand until onion changes colour (8-10 minutes).
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Mix crème fraîche, cheeses and mustard in a bowl and season to taste. Spread over bread slices, then form stacks of 2 slices, cheese-side up. Heat butter in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming, add sandwiches and fry until golden on the bases (1-2 minutes), transfer to oven and bake until golden brown and bubbling (4-5 minutes). Serve topped with quick-pickled onion.
Note Provolone piccante is available from select delicatessens.