We've kept things light and served the chicken with tender green beans, but it would also be great with a creamy mash or rice pilaf to soak up the braising juices.
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 6 chicken Marylands, halved into drumsticks and thighs
- 150 gm small Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 150 ml verjuice
- 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) pouring cream
- 3 sprigs each thyme and tarragon, plus extra, coarsely chopped, to serve
Buttered green beans
- 400 gm baby green beans, trimmed
- 30 gm melted butter
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat half the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add chicken pieces, skin-side down, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden (3-4 minutes). Meanwhile, heat remaining oil and butter in a flameproof casserole, add mushrooms, leek, garlic and rind and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (2-3 minutes). Deglaze pan with verjuice, scraping base of pan, stir in mustard, then add stock and cream. Bring to the boil, add chicken pieces, skin-side up, then add herbs and season to taste. Transfer to oven and braise until chicken is cooked through (10-15 minutes). Stir in lemon juice and check seasoning.
- 2Meanwhile, for buttered green beans, blanch beans (2-3 minutes), drain, toss in a bowl with remaining ingredients, season to taste and serve hot with braised chicken.