- 2 skinless chicken breasts (about 300gm each), sliced in half horizontally
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, halved
- 4 soft white rolls
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4-6 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 500 gm frozen shoestring fries
- 10 long red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 25 gm ginger, finely grated (5cm piece)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1For chilli sauce, process ingredients to a coarse paste in a food processor, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Heat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat, drizzle chicken with oil, season to taste, and grill, turning once, until cooked through (4-5 minutes each side), then squeeze lime over. Grill buns cut-side down (30 seconds), spread bases with half the mayonnaise, then chilli sauce to taste, top with lettuce, chicken and tomato, spread bun tops with remaining mayonnaise and place on top of burgers.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 180C. Cook fries, stirring occasionally, until golden (be careful, hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper, season to taste with sea salt and serve with burgers and extra chilli sauce.
This recipe is from the December 2012 issue of .