This one-tray roast gets a boost from a quick compound butter flavoured with garlic and chives. Make extra and have it on hand for garlic bread that's ready in minutes.
- 12 Dutch carrots, trimmed, larger ones halved lengthways
- 500 gm chat potatoes, halved
- 1 head of garlic, halved
- 2 oranges, halved
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken Marylands, deeply scored at 3cm intervals
- 125 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced chives, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 1Preheat oven to 250°C.Place carrots, potatoes, garlic and oranges in a baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tbsp oil, season to taste, toss to combine and add to oven.Immediately after putting carrot mixture in the oven, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until browned (4 minutes). Add to tray and roast until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender (20-25 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for chive butter, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. Spread chive butter over tray for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- 3Carefully squeeze roasted oranges over chicken mixture with tongs, season to taste and scatter with chives to serve.