- 400 gm fresh flat rice noodles
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 white onion, cut into thin wedges
- 20 gm piece ginger, cut into julienne
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 lap cheong sausages (see note) (150gm)
- 6 free-range chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm-thick strips
- 60 ml kecap manis (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 200 gm snow peas, trimmed and halved diagonally
- 75 gm cashew nuts, toasted (½ cup)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, to serve
- 1Place noodles in a heatproof bowl, pour over boiling water and stand for 1 minute or until tender, then drain.
- 2Heat oil in a wok over high heat, add onion, ginger, garlic and lap cheong and stirfry for 2 minutes or until starting to colour. Add chicken and cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken is brown. Add kecap manis, soy sauce and Shaoxing wine, bring to the boil, then add snow peas and half the cashews. Cook for another 2 minutes or until snow peas are just tender, add noodles and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately scattered with remaining cashews and green onions.
Lap cheong are dried Chinese pork sausages, usually smoked, seasoned and sweetened. They are available vacuum-packed from Asian food stores and do not require refrigeration until after opening.