A fresh, cleansing noodle soup for cooler nights and head colds. For extra crunch, deep-fry a thinly sliced golden shallot in oil and scatter it over the top to serve.
- 250 gm vermicelli
- 750 ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- 3 lemongrass stalks, chopped
- 30 gm ginger, thinly sliced
- 30 gm galangal, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breast fillets (200gm each), thickly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 4 birdseye chillies (seeds optional), sliced (or to taste)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fish sauce (or to taste)
- Juice of 3 limes, plus extra lime wedges, to serve
- Coriander, to serve
- 1Place vermicelli in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and stand, stirring occasionally, until softened (10 minutes). Drain well.
- 2Combine stock and 300ml water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add lemongrass, ginger, galangal and chicken, reduce heat to medium, and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through (4-6 minutes). Add tomato, spring onion, chilli, and fish sauce to taste. Add lime juice and season with salt to taste.
- 3Ladle soup into bowls, add noodles and top with coriander. Serve with lime.