This Italian classic, topped with a medley of buttery mushrooms, is great for a Sunday meal. If you have time, salt the chicken the day before to really enhance the flavour. A green salad, fresh sliced sourdough or potatoes would be a welcome side.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (200gm each), cut in half horizontally
- 3 tsp thyme, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 300 gm mixed mushrooms such as king brown, wood-ear, shimeji, oyster and shiitake, coarsely chopped
- 40 gm softened butter
- Juice of ½ lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Green salad and sourdough (optional), to serve
- 1Scatter chicken with thyme and salt. Heat a large frying pan over high heat, add half the oil and fry chicken, turning once, until golden and cooked through (3-4 minutes). Remove from pan and cover loosely with aluminium foil.
- 2Add remaining oil to the same pan over high heat. Add mushrooms and season to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender (2-4 minutes). Remove pan from heat and add butter, lemon juice, garlic and parsley, stirring until butter is melted and mushrooms are coated. Top chicken with mushroom mixture, and serve with lemon wedges, a green salad and bread.