- 200 gm soft fine wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 100 gm parmesan, finely grated
- Seasoned plain flour, for dusting
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 chicken breast fillets (about 250 gm each), thinly sliced diagonally to make 8 thin escalopes
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 20 gm butter, plus extra, softened to serve
Cabbage and grape salad
- 500 gm cabbage, thinly sliced
- 400 gm seedless grapes, halved
- 100 gm toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- 125 ml mild-flavoured olive oil (½ cup)
- Juice of 1½ lemons, plus wedges to serve
- 1Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a bowl and season to taste. Place flour and eggs in separate bowls and dust each escalope with flour, dip in egg then press into breadcrumbs to coat well and set aside on a tray.
- 2For cabbage salad, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3Heat half the oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and fry half the escalopes, turning once, until golden and just cooked through (1-2 minutes each side). Keep warm on a warm plate covered with foil or in a low (120C) oven and repeat with remaining oil, butter and escalopes.
- 4Serve warm schnitzels with a little extra butter on top, black pepper, a squeeze of lemon and cabbage salad.