It's double the fun here with grilled dogs and a good whack of chilli. Don't skimp on the toppings - they're a highlight.
- 40 ml olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300 gm coarsely minced beef
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 200 gm canned tomato polpa
- 6 smoked sausages, such as kransky
- 6 hotdog rolls, split lengthways
- 60 gm finely grated vintage cheddar
- Sliced pickled jalapeños, sour cream and coriander, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add onion and garlic, and sauté until starting
to soften (2-3 minutes). Add beef, chipotle chilli, spices and oregano and sauté until beef browns (3-4 minutes). Add tomato polpa and 100ml water, reduce heat to low, season to taste and simmer until thickened (8-10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to medium heat, brush sausages with oil, then
grill, turning occasionally, until hot and browned (5-6 minutes). Split buns and grill cut sides until toasted (1 minute). Fill buns with sausage and chilli, top with cheddar, jalapeños, sour cream and coriander, season to taste and serve.
Chipotle chillies in adobo are available from select grocers and delicatessens.