- 50 ml olive oil
- 8 pieces of chicken, such as thighs and drumsticks, skin on and bone in
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 200 ml dry apple cider
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Brussels sprout and apple salad
- 12 Brussels sprouts, outer leaves separated and torn, inner leaves thinly sliced
- 1 pink lady apple, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley
- 40 gm roasted hazelnuts, coarsely crushed with flat of a knife
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add chicken pieces and turn occasionally until golden (3-4 minutes). Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a separate frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion wedges and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden (3-4 minutes), then transfer to a roasting pan along with garlic and thyme. Arrange chicken pieces over onion mixture and transfer to oven.
- 2Tip excess fat out of chicken pan and place over high heat, deglaze with cider, add stock and mustard, season to taste and bring to the boil. Pour over chicken and roast until chicken is cooked through (10-15 minutes).
- 3For Brussels sprout and apple salad, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and serve alongside hot cider-braised chicken.