This is one of those meals where you can put the pot in the middle of the table and just let everyone serve themselves and get a bit messy. A pile of napkins and plenty of toasted sourdough are essential.
- 30 gm butter
- 200 gm streaky bacon rashers, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1 kg clams, cleaned, soaked in salted water for 15 minutes, rinsed well
- 125 ml (½ cup) dry white wine
- 60 gm crème fraîche
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar or to taste
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus 2 tsp juice, or to taste
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 8 slices sourdough bread, toasted, to serve
- 1Heat butter in a large casserole over high heat, add bacon and stir until lightly browned (3-4 minutes). Transfer to a small bowl with a slotted spoon, then add onion to pan and sauté until translucent (3-4 minutes). Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes), then return bacon to pan, add corn, clams and wine, cover with a lid and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until clams open (2-3 minutes). Remove pan from the heat, stir through crème fraîche, vinegar, lemon rind and juice and parsley, season to taste, then top with extra parsley and serve with toasted sourdough.