Part of the battle when cooking potato dishes is to choose the right potato for the job. Dutch cream potatoes have a lovely creamy texture and nutty flavour - perfect for this piquant sauce. If you can't find them, use Desiree potatoes instead.
- 6 large Dutch cream potatoes, cut into 5cm cubes
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 200 gm mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 70 gm salted baby capers, rinsed and drained
- 100 gm cornichons, thinly sliced
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- To garnish: flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 1Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender (10-15 minutes), then drain and set aside to steam dry.
- 2Meanwhile, place eggs in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 8 minutes (for medium-cooked yolks), then drain and transfer to iced water to stop cooking. Peel, quarter and set aside.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. Add potato and gently mix to coat well, then transfer to a platter, top with eggs, scatter with parsley, season with black pepper and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chefs' RecipesThe Agrarian Kitchen Eatery's Meyer lemon shaker pieYesterday 10:00pm