What this salad lacks in cutting-edge chic, it makes up for in flavour. Roquefort adds a sharp accent.
- 2 chicken breasts, skin on (about 200gm each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rindless bacon rashers
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 corn cob, kernels removed
- 2 baby cos lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small tomato, cut into wedges, seeds removed
- ½ avocado, cut into wedges
- 100 gm Roquefort, crumbled
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp seeded mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Heat an ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Brush chicken with oil, season to taste, cook until golden, turning once (2-3 minutes each side). Remove from pan, set aside. Add bacon to pan, sauté until just turning golden (1-2 minutes). Return chicken to pan, transfer pan to oven and roast until chicken is cooked through (10-15 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water until cooked to your liking (7-8 minutes for medium-boiled). Remove and refresh, drain, peel, halve and set aside.
- 3Cook corn kernels in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (3-4 minutes), drain, refresh and set aside.
- 4For mustard dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine. Set aside.
- 5Slice chicken and coarsely tear bacon. Divide remaining ingredients (except Roquefort and chives) among bowls, top with chicken and bacon. Scatter Roquefort and chives over, drizzle with dressing, season to taste and serve.
This recipe is from the November 2009 issue of .