- 300 gm green lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 7 gm ginger, coarsely grated (1.5cm piece)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3-4 small green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 340 ml coconut milk
- 140 gm canned crushed tomatoes (½ cup)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, grated and combined with ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 280 gm thick plain yoghurt (1 cup)
- 1Bring lentils, turmeric and 1 litre water to the boil in a saucepan over high heat, then cook until lentils are tender (15-25 minutes).
- 2Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add mustard seeds and stir until they pop (1 minute), then add onion, ginger and garlic and cook until starting to caramelise (3-4 minutes). Add chilli, curry leaves and spices, stir until fragrant (1 minute), then add coconut milk, tomato, lentils and lentil water and simmer over medium-high heat until slightly thickened (3-5 minutes). Season to taste with sea salt and keep warm.
- 3For cucumber yoghurt, squeeze excess liquid from cucumber, combine with yoghurt in a small bowl and season to taste. Serve hot lentils topped with cucumber yoghurt and coriander, with steamed basmati rice.
This recipe is from the October 2012 issue of .