- 200 gm mixed baby heirloom tomatoes, halved and lightly crushed
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 small beetroot, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 cup mint, torn (loosely packed)
- ¼ cup baby shiso leaves (optional; see note)
- Juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sumac, or to taste
- To serve: warm flatbread or crispbread
Confit ocean trout
- 4 ocean trout fillets (180gm each), skin on, pin-boned
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- ½ tsp crushed fennel seeds
- For confit: olive oil
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 80 ml mild extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 1For confit ocean trout, preheat oven to 100C. Heat oil to 80C in a saucepan over high heat. Arrange trout fillets, thyme, garlic and fennel seeds in a baking dish to fit trout very snugly, then add hot oil to just cover. Bake until cooked medium-rare (15-20 minutes). Set aside in oil.
- 2Meanwhile, for quick hummus, process chickpeas, garlic, tahini and lemon juice in a food processor until finely chopped, gradually add oil and process until smooth and combined. Season to taste, spoon onto plates and set aside.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients (except flatbread) in a bowl and toss to combine. Remove ocean trout from oil (discard oil), remove skin and coarsely flake over salad. Serve warm with flatbread.
Baby shiso is available from select greengrocers.
This recipe is from the October 2012 issue of