- 8 Coorong mullet (about 100gm each; or white fish such as whiting), cleaned
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
Lemon and caper sauce
- 2 lemons, segmented over a bowl to catch juice and juice squeezed from membrane
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp baby capers in salt, rinsed
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 golden shallots, finely diced
- 1For lemon and caper sauce, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Heat a barbecue to high heat, brush mullet with oil and grill, skin-side down and without turning, until golden and half-cooked (2 minutes), then turn and cook until golden and cooked through (2 minutes). Resist the urge to turn the mullet too early; it will stick to the barbecue if the skin isn’t crisp enough.
- 3Grill asparagus until golden (1 minute each side). Transfer mullet and asparagus to a plate, spoon lemon caper sauce over and serve with a crisp green salad and crusty bread.