- 300 gm crème fraîche
- 200 gm Gruyère, coarsely grated
- 100 gm raclette, coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
- 12 thick slices sourdough bâtard
- 6 thick slices leg ham, off the bone
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- To serve: cornichons and herb salad
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine crème fraîche, cheeses and mustard in a bowl, season to taste, then spread thickly over bread slices. Top half the bread slices with ham, sandwich with remaining bread slices, cheese-side up.
- 2Heat half the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, add half the sandwiches and cook until bases are golden (2-3 minutes), transfer to an oven tray. Wipe pan clean with absorbent paper, repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches, then transfer to oven and bake until golden and bubbling (8-10 minutes). Serve hot with cornichons and herb salad.
This recipe is from the July 2010 issue of .