- 80 ml vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups Thai basil (firmly packed)
- 1 kg fresh wide, flat rice noodles (see note)
- 100 ml fish sauce, or to taste
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, or to taste
- To serve: lime wedges and roasted dried chilli flakes
- 1Heat half the oil in a wok until smoking, add half the chicken and stir-fry until almost cooked (2-3 minutes). Remove chicken with a slotted spoon, set aside, repeat with remaining oil and chicken. Return all chicken to wok, add chilli, stir-fry for 1 minute, add garlic and stir-fry for another minute. Add remaining ingredients and 1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper and toss until basil wilts. Serve hot with lime wedges and chilli flakes.
Fresh rice noodles are available from Asian grocers and can be stored at room temperature for a day or two (refrigerating them alters their texture).
This recipe is from the October 2012 issue of