- 2 eggplant (about 800gm), thickly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) vincotto or good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 18 cherry Roma tomatoes, halved and crushed
- 1/3 cup (loosely packed) each basil, mint and flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
- 4 Italian buffalo mozzarella or 2 fior di latte, coarsely torn
- For drizzling: extra-virgin olive oil
- 4-6 rosemary sprigs, for brushing
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 thick slices of day-old sourdough bread
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Combine eggplant and olive oil in a bowl, season to taste and toss to combine. Cook half the eggplant, turning occasionally, until golden and tender (1-2 minutes each side). Transfer to a bowl, add garlic and repeat with remaining eggplant. Drizzle eggplant with vincotto or balsamic vinegar, then add tomato and herbs, toss to combine, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, for rosemary bruschetta, dip rosemary sprigs in olive oil and brush bread slices on one side with oil. Char-grill bread, oiled-side down, in batches and, while cooking, brush other side with oil using rosemary sprigs and cook until golden (1-2 minutes each side). Rub with cut-side of halved garlic and keep warm.
- 3Divide eggplant among plates, top with mozzarella or fior di latte, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve with bruschetta.