- 2 large eggplants
- ½ loaf Turkish bread, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2½ tbsp thick natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp each torn mint and dill
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Cook eggplant over a naked flame or on a barbecue, turning occasionally, until blackened and very soft (10-15 minutes). Cut a slit down each eggplant, open out the halves and set aside in a colander to cool and drain briefly .
- 2Meanwhile, brush Turkish bread with oil and bake, turning once, until golden (8-14 minutes).
- 3Dry-roast cumin seeds until fragrant (20-40 seconds), then finely crush with a mortar and pestle. Combine in a bowl with yoghurt, tahini, lemon juice and garlic, then season well with sea salt flakes and finely ground black pepper.
- 4Scoop out eggplant flesh, chop it and place on a plate. Spoon yoghurt mixture on top and scatter with herbs and sumac to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with toasted Turkish bread and lemon halves to the side.