- 300 gm eggplant, thinly sliced widthways
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 40 gm butter, softened for spreading
- 8 slices soft white or wholemeal bread
- 220 gm mozzarella, drained and coarsely torn (see note)
- 30 gm parmesan, finely grated (¼ cup)
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 60 ml passata (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1For sugo, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic, and stir until tender and starting to caramelise (5-7 minutes). Add passata and rosemary, stir to combine and bring to the boil. Season to taste and set aside.
- 2Brush eggplant with oil then fry in batches over high heat, turning occasionally until golden (4-6 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper, then tear into bite-size pieces, place in a bowl with sugo and toss to coat.
- 3Heat a jaffle press. Spread butter on one side of all bread slices. Place 4 butter-side down on a tray, top with eggplant mix and scatter with cheeses and basil. Sandwich with remaining bread slices, butter-side up, and toast in jaffle press until golden (4-6 minutes). Serve hot.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am