This substantial salad is lovely served with grilled fish such as salmon or sardines. You could use pearl barley or freekah instead of farro, but the cooking times may vary. For an even faster meal, you can cook the grain ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator.
- 180 gm farro (see note)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (firmly packed)
- 2 baby fennel bulb with fronds, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 celery heart, thinly sliced
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp oregano, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Cook farro in a saucepan of boiling water until tender (10 minutes), then drain. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste. Serve with lemon wedges to the side.
Farro is available from select delicatessens.
This recipe is from the February 2011 issue of
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am