- 50 ml olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250 gm flat pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gm farro (see note)
- 1.5 litres hot chicken stock (6 cups)
- 200 gm frozen peas, defrosted
- 120 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion, pancetta, and garlic and sauté until starting to soften (2-3 minutes). Add farro, stir until toasted (1-2 minutes), then add stock, 250ml at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, adding the peas with the last addition of stock (20-25 minutes; see note). Add parmesan and serve topped with a dollop of mascarpone, extra parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
Farro is a type of grain available from select delicatessens and health-food shops. You may need to add a little extra warm water if stock reduces too quickly.
This recipe is from the September 2010 issue of