This recipe makes two sandwiches but they're on the large side - depending on the appetite of your audience they may serve two hungry people or four as a snack. Some tangy pickles alongside would make an excellent addition.
- 200 gm firm ricotta
- 75 gm vintage cheddar, coarsely grated
- 75 gm provolone piccante, coarsely grated
- 75 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard, for spreading
- 4 thin slices leg ham off the bone
- 200 gm buffalo mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 40 gm butter, diced
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Stir ricotta, cheddar, provolone and parmesan in a bowl to combine, and season to taste. Spread two of the bread slices with cheese mixture, then top each with another bread slice. Spread with mustard to taste, top with ham, then mozzarella and season to taste. Sandwich with remaining bread.
- 2Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, add sandwiches and fry until browned on the base (1-2 minutes). Carefully turn over and brown the other side, then transfer to the oven and bake until cheese is bubbling (3-4 minutes). Pour the butter in the frying pan over the top of the toasties and serve hot with mustard.