- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 leeks, thickly sliced widthways (1cm thick)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 4 thick slices day-old ciabatta
- 160 gm Fontina, sliced
- 160 gm finely grated pecorino
- To serve: oregano leaves
- 1Preheat a grill on high heat. Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add leek and stir occasionally until very soft and starting to caramelise (5-10 minutes). Add garlic and cook until just fragrant (1 minute), then add chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- 2Meanwhile, grill bread slices until golden, turning once (1-2 minutes each side). Top toast with cheeses and grill until golden and bubbling (2-4 minutes).
- 3Ladle soup among bowls, top with a toast and oregano leaves and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm