- 4 chicken thigh fillets (about 200gm each; see note)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) light soy sauce
- 50 ml Shaoxing wine
- 150 gm (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp each finely ground white pepper and onion powder
- 8 slices white bread, buttered
- 400 gm white cabbage, shredded
- 75 gm (¼ cup) whole egg mayonnaise
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1Heat oil to 160C in a deep saucepan. Combine chicken, soy sauce and Shaoxing wine in a bowl and marinate for 5 minutes. Combine flour, pepper and onion powder in a bowl with a good pinch of sea salt flakes. Dip chicken into flour mixture, then return to marinade to coat. Repeat to coat thickly. Deep-fry in batches (be careful; hot oil will spit) until chicken is golden and crisp (7-10 minutes).
- 2For coleslaw, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Top half the buttered bread slices with fried chicken and coleslaw, season to taste with hot sauce, sandwich with remaining bread and serve.
Note If the chicken fillets are uneven in thickness, slice the thickest partway through and butterfly them so they cook evenly.