- 350 gm carnaroli rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 kg vongole, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes to remove grit, drained
- 200 ml dry white wine
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 1Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente (12-15 minutes), drain and return to pan.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, heat a separate saucepan over high heat, add vongole and wine, cover with a lid and shake pan occasionally until vongole open (2-3 minutes), then remove from heat.
- 4Transfer vongole with a slotted spoon to onion mixture, strain cooking liquid over vongole, add parsley and lemon rind and juice, season to taste, add to rice and stir to combine. Serve hot.
This recipe is from the May 2011 issue of .