- ¼ tsp black peppercorns, dry roasted
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, dry roasted
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, dry roasted
- 1 tsp each ground turmeric and garam masala
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 fresh long green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp tamarind purée
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 lamb backstraps(about 250gm each), trimmed
- To serve: char-grilled parathas or chapatis
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Pinch chilli powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
- ½ small Spanish onion, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, torn
- ¼ tsp black mustard seeds
- 1Place peppercorns, cumin and coriander seeds in a mortar and, using a pestle, grind finely. Process ground spices and all ingredients except lamb in a food processor until a smooth paste forms, then pour over lamb in a flat ceramic or glass dish, stirring to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 2For kachumber salad, place cumin, chilli, lime juice and oil in a bowl, season to taste and combine. Place tomatoes, cucumber, onion and coriander in a bowl. Just before serving, add dressing and mustard seeds and combine.
- 3Remove lamb from marinade, leaving some marinade on fillets. Season to taste with salt, then char-grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Leave covered in a warm place for 5 minutes, then slice.
- 4Serve lamb with kachumber salad and parathas or chapatis passed separately.