This fast fresh green chilli relish adds a vibrant note to the lamb.
- 150 gm (¾ cup) black or small French-style green lentils, rinsed
- 8-12 lamb cutlets
- 6 baby eggplant, or 1 large eggplant, thickly sliced
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- 280 gm (1 cup) yoghurt
Fresh chilli chutney
- 1 tsp each cumin and coriander seeds
- 1 cup (firmly packed) each mint and coriander, coarsely chopped
- 2 long green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 2 tsp coconut palm sugar, grated
- 1Cook lentils in a saucepan of boiling unsalted water until tender (15-25 minutes), then drain well and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, combine lamb and eggplant in a bowl, season to taste, drizzle with oil and toss to coat well. Heat a char-grill pan over high heat, add eggplant and lamb in batches and grill, turning occasionally, until lamb is cooked medium and eggplant is charred (6-7 minutes). Let lamb rest and set eggplant aside.
- 3For fresh chilli chutney, dry-roast spices in a small frying pan over medium heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Transfer to a blender and leave to cool, then add remaining ingredients and 50ml water and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice.
- 4Scatter lentils on a serving platter, top with eggplant, then lamb and top with dollops of chutney, drizzle with olive oil and serve with yoghurt.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chef's RecipesIcebergs' ricotta with white poached quince and honeyYesterday 10:14pm