- 4 mackerel fillets (about 130gm each)
- For brushing: olive oil
- 4 thick large slices rye or miche bread
- ½ garlic clove, peeled, for rubbing
- To serve: mayonnaise
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
Quick kohlrabi pickles
- 1 (350gm) kohlrabi, peeled and shaved on a mandolin
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Champagne vinegar
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup torn flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup torn dill
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1For kohlrabi pickles, combine ingredients in a bowl, toss and set aside while grilling the fish.
- 2Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat, brush mackerel with oil and grill until golden and just cooked through (1-2 minutes each side). Set aside on a warm plate.
- 3Brush bread with oil, grill until charred, rub with garlic, then transfer to plates, top with grilled fish, kohlrabi pickles and a dollop of mayonnaise, season with black pepper and extra-virgin olive oil and serve.