- 4 squid or cuttlefish (about 100gm each), skin on, halved, cleaned and scored, tentacles reserved
- 2 tsp vegetable, garlic or shallot oil
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- To serve: coriander leaves
- 1 coriander root, scraped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3-5 fresh red birdseye chillies
- 2½ tsp granulated sugar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
- 1For sauce, combine coriander root and a pinch of sea salt in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound to a paste, add garlic and chillies and pound to a coarse paste. Add sugar, lime juice and fish sauce to taste. The sauce should taste hot, sour, salty and sweet.
- 2Combine squid and reserved tentacles with oil and 1 tbsp coconut cream in a small bowl for 1 minute. Barbecue or char-grill squid and tentacles on a heated grill plate, scored-side down, for 1 minute, then drizzle with remaining coconut cream, turn and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until caramelised and opaque. Serve immediately, scattered with coriander leaves and sauce passed separately.