Layer these quick pickles into sourdough sandwiches filled with leg ham and Gruyère before toasting, or keep them on hand to serve with smoked trout or gravlax.
- Butter and mustard, for spreading
- Thick slices of sourdough bread
- Slices of leg ham and Gruyère
- Watercress sprigs, to serve
- 500 ml (2 cups) white vinegar
- 175 gm white sugar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- A few sprigs of dill
- 1For pickled cucumber, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and 1 tbsp salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve. Add cucumber and dill, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate until cooled. Pickles can be used immediately, and will keep refrigerated for a couple of weeks.
- 2Preheat a sandwich press to high. Butter bread slices, spread half with mustard, top with a slice or two of ham and cheese, then top with pickles. Sandwich with remaining bread and toast in sandwich press until golden and cheese has melted (4-5 minutes). Serve with watercress and extra pickles.