- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 114 gm canned sour curry paste (see note)
- 600 ml hot chicken stock
- 1 bunch (150gm) snake beans, cut into 7cm lengths
- 6 apple eggplants, halved
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- ½ tsp roasted chilli flakes, or to taste
- 800 gm skinned barramundi or snapper, cut into 5cm pieces
- 60 ml (¼ cup) tamarind extract (see note)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
- To serve: coriander, Thai basil and steamed jasmine rice
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat, add paste and stir until fragrant (1-2 minutes), then add chicken stock, beans, eggplants, kaffir lime leaves and chilli flakes, and bring to the boil, then add fish, reduce heat to medium-high and simmer until fish is just cooked (3-6 minutes). Add tamarind extract and season to taste with fish sauce. Scatter with herbs and serve hot with steamed rice.
Note Sour curry paste is available from Thai grocers and Asian supermarkets. To make your own tamarind extract soak 80gm tamarind pulp with 125ml boiling water in a bowl for 5 minutes, then mix to form a paste, strain through a sieve and discard solids.