Buttery brioche is the perfect bread for this dessert sandwich. If you can't find brioche loaves you can use any shape; rolls make a cute alternative.
- 6 thick brioche loaf slices
- 120 gm softened butter
- 160 gm pure icing sugar (1 cup)
- To serve: vanilla bean ice-cream
- To serve: mint leaves and icing sugar
- 220 gm raw caster sugar (1 cup)
- 130 ml moscato or dessert wine
- ½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 250 gm strawberries, hulled and cut into wedges
- 2 mint sprigs
- 1For moscato-poached strawberries, stir sugar, wine, vanilla bean and seeds, and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes to combine flavours. Remove from heat, add strawberries and mint, and refrigerate to chill.
- 2Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Spread both sides of brioche slices with butter and sieve icing sugar over both sides, lightly pressing to stick to butter. Cook, turning once, until brioche is golden on both sides (1-2 minutes). Keep warm in a low oven. Wipe pan clean with absorbent paper, and repeat with remaining slices. Scoop ice-cream onto 3 brioche slices, top with remaining slices and press gently to sandwich. Top with strawberries, scatter mint over, dust with icing sugar, halve and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am