Eggs are so versatile and can be transformed into a meal at the drop of a hat. We don't always think of serving them in a curry, but trust us, they're delicious.
- 8 eggs
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cinnamon quill
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp each ground coriander and ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 400 gm canned tomato polpa
- To serve: steamed basmati rice
- 1Boil eggs until cooked to your liking (9 minutes for hard-boiled). Drain and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add curry leaves and fry until crisp (1 minute). Remove curry leaves with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté until onion is tender (6-8 minutes). Add spices, stir until fragrant (1-2 minutes), then add tomato, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes to combine flavours.
- 3Peel and halve eggs. Add to curry, season to taste, serve with rice and top with curry leaves.