- 400 gm jasmine rice, rinsed until water runs clear (2 cups)
- 185 ml peanut oil (¾ cup)
- 65 gm fried shallots (1 cup)
- 75 gm anchovy sambal (see note) (¼ cup)
- 60 ml each of light soy sauce and kecap manis (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 eggs
Snake bean relish
- 125 ml peanut oil (½ cup)
- 1 bunch of snake beans, cut into 4cm lengths
- 3 red shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20 gm dried anchovies (see note) (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1Combine rice and enough water to cover by 1cm in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, over low heat until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed (12-14 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for snake bean relish, heat oil in a wok over high heat. Stirfry beans (1-2 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon, reserving 2 tbsp oil in wok. Add shallot, garlic and anchovies and fry until crisp (1-2 minutes). Add chilli and beans, stir to combine, drain excess oil and set aside to cool.
- 3Heat 125ml oil in a wok over high heat. Add rice and cook, tossing to coat grains, (1-2 minutes). Add remaining ingredients except eggs and cook until combined (1-2 minutes).
- 4Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Crack in eggs and cook until soft-fried (2-3 minutes). Serve rice topped with egg and relish to the side.
Anchovy sambal and dried anchovies are available from Asian grocers.