- 500 gm dried Kabuli chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water (see note)
- 6 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 250 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1 cup)
- 125 ml lemon juice (½ cup)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup each coarsely chopped mint, coriander and flat-leaf parsley
- To serve: crusty bread
- 1Drain chickpeas and cook in a saucepan of boiling water until tender (20-30 minutes). Drain, then transfer to a bowl, add shallot, oil, lemon juice and garlic, season generously to taste, then toss to combine.
- 2Just before serving, add herbs, toss to combine and transfer to plates. Serve with crusty bread.
Note Kabuli chickpeas are small and tender; we've used them in this recipe because they cook in less time than ordinary chickpeas. Theyíre available from select delicatessens. If they're unavailable, substitute canned chickpeas; just drain, rinse and then cook them in boiling water for 2-4 minutes to warm them through first.